All About Applied English Throughout our Applied English course we will be focusing on addressing the Ohio 7th Grade Academic Standards as well as working on your child’s individual written expression goals found in their IEP.
Prewriting Standards and Activities
1) Brainstorming and generating ideas for writing.
2) Conducting background reading, interviews, or surveys.
3) Creating a thesis statement or a plan for writing.
4) Determine a purpose and audience for writing.
5) Using organization strategies such as outlines, diagrams, maps, webs or ven diagrams to plan writing.
Drafting, Revising and Editing Standards and Activities
6) Organize writing with an effective introduction, body and conclusion.
7) Vary simple, compound and complex sentence structures.
8) Group related ideas into paragraphs, compose topic sentences and maintain a consistent focus across paragraphs.
9) Use precise language, action verbs, sensory details, colorful modifiers and style to suit your audience.
10) Use available technology to compose text.
11) Reread and analyze clarity of writing.
12) Add or delete information and details to improve the quality of your writing.
13) Rearrange words, sentences and paragraphs.
14) Use resources and reference materials to select more effective vocabulary.
15) Proofread writing, edit to improve grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalization. Identify and correct fragments and run-on sentences.
16) Apply tools such as a checklist or rubric.
17 ) Publish and share writing adding useful charts, graphs or other supplemental materials to best suit the audience.