Parent Help Suggestions for Reading
- Have your child read at least 20 minute every day. This could be a newspaper, magazine, books, etc.
- Have a reading time when everyone reads. At the end of that time have a small discussion allowing each person to tell about what they are reading.
- Listen to your child read or do a shared reading taking turns reading paragraphs or pages.
- Who is/are the characters in the story?
- Questions to ask about what your child is reading.
- Choose one character. Why is that character important in the story?
- Did any of the characters change during the story? Is so, how?
- Choose one character. does this character remind you of anyone? If so, who and why?
- What is the setting of the story? (time and place of the story)
- How did the setting affect what happened in the story?
- How would the story be different if the setting were different? - What is the author's purpose in the story? (to inform, persuade, entertain, or express ideas or
- What is the author trying to tell you in this story?
- If you were to suggest this story to someone, what would you say this story is mostly about?
- How did you feel when you finished the story? What in the story made you feel this way?
- What is the conflict (problem) in the story?
- What is the resolution (how is the problem solved) to the story?
- How did the character(s) solve the conflict?
- How could the character(s) solve the story differently?